Piraeus Municipality: Duty and Regeneration
It is no surprise that Evangelos Marinakis knows his hometown, the port city of Piraeus, very well. He understands better than most the huge potential of the port and what it could contribute to the entire city. Yet, he has also long been aware of the great challenges that Piraeus and its people face; and of the issues that have prevented the city from achieving its full potential. Driven by this passion, Evangelos has been active in a range of initiatives aimed at improving the city and making life better for all its citizens.
So far as public life is concerned, in 2014 Evangelos, together with the current Mayor of Piraeus, Yiannis Moralis, founded the independent electoral alliance called "Piraeus Winner", which contested and won the municipal elections of that year with 55.23% of the vote. Evangelos was himself elected first member of the City council where he served until 2017.
The plan for revitalizing Piraeus put forward by Evangelos and Mayor Moralis envisages transforming the city into a major tourism destination, improving the standard of living and upgrading the infrastructure. This includes the port specifically, as well as overall urban and maritime cluster renewal.
Another focus of the integrated urban development program is on the revitalization of Piraeus' former industrial zone and the area around Agios Dionysios.
Evangelos is also active in a wide range of charitable and other community initiatives across the city, such as:
- the daily rations and the summer camps of the Holy Metropoles of Piraeus and Nikaia
- the reconstruction and configuration of the Themistocleous Square in the Maniatika neighborhood, the Agioi Anargyroi Square and playground in Palaia Kokkinia and the Alexandra Square in Kastella.
- the complete reconstruction with new dressing rooms of the Atromitos football field in Kaminia
- the strengthening of the Municipality's Green with 300 palm and olive trees (Akti Miaouli, Votsalakia Beach, Mikrolimano, Terpsitheas Square and Themistocleous Square, Ethnarchou Makariou Street)
- the restoration of the high school building of the Holy Metropolis of Piraeus.